Friday, August 06, 2010

A Space of My Own


Today, I created office space for myself. I am weirdly happy about it.

I never really used my desk in high school, but when I went to college, that was where the computer lived, so I began to find it useful. Not for sitting and doing reading or handwritten assignments. I really just used it for computer time. Granted, most of the works I completed in college (that wasn't simply reading) was done on the computer in some way, but if I'd had a laptop instead of a desktop, I know I would've done all of that work on my bed or couch.

A day or two ago, I discovered yes and yes (see the sidebar, kittens) and Sarah's photos of her compact Office Space. Apparently it inspired me, because this afternoon I relocated Grandma's sewing machine and turned an end table into my new desk. With a bulletin board and all of my writing references in easy reach, it seems perfect even if it is humble. As soon as I put away the mountain of clothes next to it, I'll take pictures for you.

I've been hearing for years that people are more productive when they have a place dedicated to work, and I think it's time I test it out. I've always written it off, to be honest; I made it through high school and college doing homework on beds and couches. Of course, there were also deadlines and due dates that were imposed by someone other than me, and I work better with expectations. Perhaps having the space will help the good habits and the self-regulation to come.

I'll never know if I don't try.

Image from tumblr. I wish it was mine.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Karen said...

Good for you! My dedicated space has grown smaller over the years, but I have always had a set spot where I work. It's important, especially when working from home, or plotting elements of writing, as you also need to end the working day. No easier way of doing that than walking away from the dedicated spot!

Looking fwd to pictures, but the image you have here is pretty. Not sure if I could work in it though, so pink and it definitely would not look like that after 5 minutes with me lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home