Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Belated Considerations

This weekend, I finally had a chance to watch the Inauguration coverage. I worked the day of the festivities, so my mom recorded seven and a half hours of the day, which I watched almost completely on Friday evening and Saturday. I had seen photographs and heard stories from others, so I didn't see anything new or remarkable, but it was the sort of thing that I wanted to see with my own eyes. There were, of course, a handful of trivial things that struck me about the day.

Malia and Sasha Obama are the youngest children in the White House in my generation. Much has been said about Malia documenting these moments with her digital camera, but I think it's incredible. Imagine, in twenty years, when she finally decides that it's time to talk about her own experience in the White House and we get to see these photos published in a book. I feel confident that it's one that I'll buy.

I find myself fascinated with the families that have lived in the White House over the years. I've always been the girl who would imagine herself as First Lady rather than as President - not because I couldn't be president, but who seeks out that kind of pressure? I remember watching the news at some point when Hilary Clinton was doing philanthropy overseas and thinking, even though I was probably only ten or so, about what sort of things would be my platform. Even then, I knew it was literacy and reading.

What would be your issues if you were in a position like that?

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 11:58 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I missed most of the coverage because I was at work and could only justify watching the live feed on and off. Can you imagine being a kid growing up there? The secret passages must be amazing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home