Monday, March 09, 2009

Perspective

I am not an intensely political person, something which can possibly be credited to the generation that I am a part of. My peers and I were born into a Republican America, grew up in a Democratic America, and became aware of the politics in a Republican America that wasn't exactly a positive picture for that party, or, really, for our country on the whole. Leading up to the election in 2004, I was excited that I was finally able to participate in the process that shapes much of our country. I was an idealistic freshman in college and I thought it would be amazing.

Then I realized that everyone's votes aren't equal. In my mind, when your state's electoral votes don't match your own, your vote was essentially worthless.* As I watched the situation in our country change, my political opinions became a bit jaded. I allowed myself to fall into a state of hostile apathy: I was hostile when things affected me directly, like gas prices, and apathetic the rest of the time.

As the 2008 election heated up, I was excited. Change is a word that is quickly becoming a cliché, but I felt like I could be part of a change that was desperately needed. I watched all of the presidential debates. I lamented the lack of alcohol in my parents' house as I watched the VP debates. I watched The Daily Show and The Colbert Report faithfully, I checked news websites, I engaged in political conversations at work.

All of this to explain why I want to both roll my eyes at Meghan McCain and pat her on the back. She's been writing for The Daily Beast (see the sidebar, kittens), and her column on post-election dating irritated me. Her most recent post, however, is about her distaste for Ann Coulter. I completely agree with everything she says, which I think is a very tidy example of how people with differing political views can find a happy middle ground.

I really rambled a lot to post a couple of links, didn't I? Read them anyhow, because they're quick and you like me.

*This is completely my opinion on the flaws of the electoral college, which I would be more than happy to spell out for you if you'd like

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 7:35 AM, Blogger Ann said...

At 20 after 7 in the morning, I am going to try to form a coherent thought. Ready?

First, her post about the post-election dating wasn't that irritating to me. I couldn't empathize at all with her situation, but it does really suck. Me, being the huge cynic I am, would always be convinced that a guy was either dating me because he loved my father or hated him and is working against him. Her example of Lisa Marie I thought was good. So since her situation is drastically different than any of ours, I didn't mind it.

Her comments on Ann Coulter were all really logical to me. I think her point about extremists seeing her as a walking contradiction can be applied to not only left leaning Republicans, but to right leaning Democrats, of which there are many. There are plenty of people who sit in the middle of the road. They're called Moderates, yet she doesn't seem to consider that the country is shifting into not just a two-party system. I'd consider myself a Democrat, but I don't agree with an $800billion bailout as much as she doesn't agree with banning gay marriage.

I think she has a point when she says that using hate and negativity isn't a spectacular draw to a particular party. I'm completely annoyed by extreme liberals who swore in 2004 that they'd move to Canada if Bush was elected again (they're still here). And I'm sure after being taught her whole life (just like we all were) that being different is ok, that it gets under her skin to see the kind of prejudice and bigotry that is still perpetuated throughout both parties.

All-in-all, I agreed with her. I think it will be interesting to see where the next four years take us as a nation.

Though, quick extra note, did you see some of the comments on her post? Sheesh. They're raking her over the coals. They need to remember that "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" thing. Especially if it's not your blog.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Dollface said...

Its really hard to grow up in a family of one view and then live in a world of others. I think politics are tricky no matter what. And as long as you believe in what makes you happy, that is what matters most. xoxo

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Electoral College? BLAH!

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger nicalyse said...

Sing it, Sarah.

I agree with the comments thing. Yes, when you write you open yourself up to negativity. Someone could come here and say snarky things to me, and that would be completely within their rights. But their comments certainly aren't constructive. Say nice things or say constructive things or say nothing. Simple.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Bri Bri said...

OH! Jim said that we could look into me helping with the talk. So, I'm pretty sure it's a go! :)

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger Bizz said...

"Maybe her popularity stems from the fact that watching her is sometimes like watching a train wreck."

That might be the nicest thing anyone's ever said about her.

Hah.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home