Tuesday, August 24, 2010

It's Like Squishing a Spider Under a Book

via

I didn't have particularly high hopes for meeting Project this weekend. I'm young enough that not seeing someone for a "long time" is rarely measured in years with double digits, and even so, I try not to let people slip out of my life unless I want them to go away.

Late Friday evening, after giant Qdoba burritos, I invited Project to come watch episodes of The Office with Bradshaw and me. I proceeded to get more antsy and more awkward. I think, if forced to put a name to the feeling in my stomach, it was dread. The moment I invited him, it felt like a bad idea. After Bradshaw gave him directions, I realized that another part of what I felt was embarrassment. I was embarrassed of him, a bit, and of myself for having been "with" him - or whatever it was that we were. I suddenly didn't want Bradshaw, who knows me better than most anyone and from whom I keep very few secrets, to even meet him.

It was very uncomfortable and he hadn't even arrived.

When he arrived, I felt more relaxed. It was immediately clear that I'm no longer attracted to him (in fact, I had that moment of 'what did I ever see in you?'). I caught myself comparing him to my Quasi-Fiancee, who had been there before - and Project was not coming out ahead in any of my vague internal categories.

I caught myself putting physical barriers between myself and him, first taking a seat on the couch next to Bradshaw and later pulling my feet up to the side between us. I was sleepy, and every time an episode ended, I wished fervently that it was the last on the disc. Eventually, that was the case and I basically told him to go home. Given the former nature of our relationship, I made it very clear a few weeks ago that if we did meet up when I was in the city, nothing physical would happen between us. I think he thought I was kidding, because he seemed a little miffed when I said I wanted to sleep; he asked if he did something wrong. I explained that I'd been up for a while and I was worried about disturbing Bradshaw who I knew had gotten up earlier than I had. There was an incredibly awkward side-hug, he left, and I paced through the apartment for thirty minutes trying to unravel the weird in my brain.

At one point, he looked over and asked if I thought he had changed. I answered, honestly, "not really that I can tell." He considered me for a moment, then said, "yeah, I don't think you have either."

And all I could think was I have I have I have!

I've grown and changed and matured. I'm more intelligent, more positive, more jaded. I approach situations and people with different attitudes and standards. Project seems exactly the same as he did five years ago, and the person I am now finds that more than a little off-putting, to be frank. The person I am now can't seem to help judging him for being exactly the same. I kind of wish I'd left well enough alone.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 2:26 PM, Blogger Ann said...

See, here's what's interesting about me knowing pretty much everything about you. I know that you've changed. I know that you've grown up, and the types of guys you'd be with five years ago are light years away from the types you're attracted to now. Also, knowing the reasons all that started helps to not go "what was she thinking."

Though, now it's even funnier knowing he wondered what you'd think if he and I hooked up....as though it would happen.

 
At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Karen said...

awwww well, at least now that is someone in your past life that you won't wonder about in the future :) Nothing like putting old 'stuff' to rest good and proper. Interesting how he didn't notice any changes and goes to show how well he bothered to 'get to know you' the first time around!

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger nicalyse said...

It's good to know you don't wonder what I was thinking, B. But I certainly wonder what the eff I was thinking.

EXACTLY, Karen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home