Friday, November 12, 2010

Things I Love Thursday


It's a late edition!

Success with new recipes I know shepherd's pie is super-simple, but it wasn't something I'd ever tried to make before; it's not really a midwestern sort of dish, so I'd never eaten it either. Still, the recipe I found was pretty simple, and there's almost no way to make ground beef, onions, carrots, and mashed potatoes taste bad. My success was confirmed by my dad, who asked for a sample and then asked when I was planning to make more. It's really perfect for cool weather!


The Red Pyramid Last week I wrote about Rick Riordan's new Heroes of Olympus series. This week, I read the first book in The Kane Chronicles, which is built around Egyptian mythology rather than Greek and Roman. My grasp of Egyptian mythology is radically less than my knowledge of Greek, but I think that actually made the story more interesting; I was discovering the mythology and the history as I read, the way the novels are intended. I'm a fan.

Jim and Pam's wedding Netflix just got around to sending me the sixth season of The Office, and Jim and Pam's wedding made me really happy. The mental snapshots and cutting the tie and the Maid in the Mist and the dancing down the aisle. Happy happy happy.


Happy Ever After I spent Saturday reading Nora Roberts' latest novel. I get a strange satisfaction out of starting and finishing a book in a single day; I read a lot of childrens and young adult titles, so it happens pretty regularly, but still. I'm not a huge fan of the romance genre, but I actually think Roberts does it better than most, and I've been reading her books since high school. A series based around weddings? Fun. Fluffy, predictable, endearing fun.

"If you're not worrying about how to put food on your table, you [should be] worrying about why other people don't have food on their table." - Cher to Vanity Fair


Unintentionally cryptic bits "I'm always good for naked treats."; the end of Daylight Savings and getting my hour back; finding lost clothes - it's amazing the things you discover when you actually clean; lots of substituting - experience is good, as is money; the one girl (of three) that I'm training at my parents' restaurant who's picked up everything super-quickly - she's kind of saving my life and my sanity; reading cookbooks; being Miss Nachos; getting compliments on my shoes (they really are great shoes); grocery shopping - it's actually something I really like to do; "Is that a challenge?"; the Sephora holiday catalog - pretty, sparkly things that make me happy; Glee - this week's episode was lovely and I was genuinely surprised by part of it, something that rarely happens to me; Vanity Fair; "That is a rutabaga."; rainy days; the fact that I can wear not-cute shirts under my trench coat without anyone finding out; thinking about Christmas; discovering Ghiradelli white chocolate chips; Jon Stewart on Rachel Maddow; planning to buy the pretty hardcover Penguin Classics (to start, I need Shakespeare, Dante's Inferno, Alice in Wonderland, and A Christmas Carol); hearing that night owls have higher IQs than morning people - ha!

I'm so looking forward to reading your lists (even if they're now things you love Friday)!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, Blogger Shanna Sandmoen said...

I love how you do your list! Books are wonderful, I love finishing a book in a day :)

http://existingstricky.blogspot.com/2010/11/love-and-gratitude-fridays.html

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Today, first, I have two for the records. One, I hate (yeah, opposite of love) that it gets dark so early. Hate it. With a blackhearted blinding fury of hatred. I do not like that soon I will leave work after it gets dark. I miss the SUN. Two, I cried...A LOT...at Jim and Pam's wedding. A lot a lot. Maybe my cynicism hasn't killed the hopeful part of me after all.

Ok, on to happier things.
-the balloons I got at the restaurant today for my week-ago birthday
-guacamole
-upping my weights for nearly every rep in my workout last night and feeling sore again today
-sleeping for SEVEN WHOLE HOURS the other day...straight through...I'm still surprised
-knowing that even though gmail is blocked at work, blogs officially aren't
-potentially making money tomorrow night doing something I've never tried (no, not hooking)
-plans for next weekend

 

Post a Comment

<< Home