Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Stepford-Style Musings

My apologies for the sporadic updates recently. I've been feeling boring and uninspired, but I'm going to try to keep up with it better. I promise!

I've been back home in Small Town for a couple of days. Work was fun last night, I played with Racer the cat, and I looked at my mom's newest collection of photos. After spending much of today in a painkiller-induced haze for a toothache*, I spent the afternoon in the kitchen with my mom. A pumpkin pie, a batch of green jello salad**, and a pan of brownies later, all I can think about is how domestic it all is, and how there are Stepford-style men and women across the country who do it every day.

I like my alone time as much as everyone else does. In fact, being an only child might make me appreciate it even more. Still, I like being around people. I can't imagine having a job where I don't interact with others constantly, because the mental stimulation is something that I enjoy so much.

I don't know what it would be like to be a stay-at-home mom. I would love to have time to cook and decorate and do laundry at my leisure, but I sincerely doubt that it's really like that. As much as I would love my children, I would go crazy if they were my only human interaction all day, every day. The monotony would likely bore me, an extreme lightweight, to alcoholism, or to something equally strange and destructive.
How do these women (and men) handle it? Are they just more patient than I am? Am I too idealistic? Am I simply too selfish?
I don't know those answers, but I do know that all of this is more than a few years away for me, so I'll reconsider them when the time comes. For now, I'm going to go read The Memory Keeper's Daughter and sip some warm cider while I think about tomorrow's delicious Thanksgiving dinner.
*Half of a hydrocodone tablet knocked me out for several hours. It just proves why I'm such a cheap person to take out drinking.
**This isn't actually green jello salad. That's just our nickname for something that is, I'm told, fairly common: Watergate salad. I didn't feel like trying to find the recipe more than once, so I stopped looking, but it's pretty basic. If you want the recipe for whatever reason, let me know and I'll post it.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! You're back! Yeah, dont worry about the sporadic update thing. You've been doing just fine. If it were me, there would probably only be an update a year or something...lol.

Stepford-style men and women....*shudders*. I'm like you. I really dont think I could handle the monotony of that kind of life either. But I think once you actually have kids its different. You sort of fall into it so easily and it just becomes your life and thats that. End of story. I dont think you're too idealistic or selfish. Its completely normal to have those kinda feelings, especially at this stage in your life where you really are the only person you need to worry about at the moment.

That all disappears when you have kids though. I mean, I dont know, but I imagine thats how it goes. Though my mom was a stay at home mom and I always loved that growing up. It was really nice. I think I'd want the same thing for my kids too...but like you, I'm not gonna worry about that until the time comes. A little too scary to think about at the moment. :)

But yay for delicious food! Happy Thanksgiving Nic! Hope its a great one. :)

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger nicalyse said...

I suppose I can hope that the selfishness seeps out. What the hell am I going to do if it doesn't?

 
At 11:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay so this one hits close to home Nic, I am the stay at home Mom! Except for the fact that I'm not a Mom and I just bum around all day! I do occasionally make treats for my family though. I have to tell you that the lack of interaction makes me nuts, which is probably why I'm always at SAYS chatting. I agree though, doing it for the rest of your life.....a little scary!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home