Friday, December 08, 2006

Dead Day and Its Eve

First, a quick explanation for those who don’t know what Dead Day is. The last Friday before finals is always a study day—Dead Day. No classes, no tests, and no reason to get up before noon. This makes that Thursday night the biggest party night of the semester, meaning that the cops are out in droves looking for belligerent drunks and minors in possession.

Bradshaw and I weren’t eager to deal with Dead Day Eve pub crawl crows, and me being underage makes attending house parties stupid. We decided that a movie night with Tall Girl* complete with cocktails would be more fun and more safe.

We had a crazy night anyways, let me tell you. We each had one Wild Thing** while watching Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest. We fell asleep before the movie was over and all slept till noon on Friday. Crazy, right?

Bradshaw has gone strangely domestic in the last week, so she invited over a few people and made homemade waffles (with homemade syrup, naturally). Good food, good company—Dead Day was shaping up quite well.

We had been planning to go see The Holiday since we saw the previews, and we made it extra special by opening our gifts to each other before we went. I gave her the South Park movie to replace her broken VHS and she gave me Project Runway 2 on DVD. We both did little happy dances, then went to the movie.

The Holiday has just joined my list of favorites and will be purchased on the day of the DVD release. I may be cynical and ambivalent, but I’m also a hopeless romantic. This was less cliché than most romantic comedies. Kate Winslet was beautiful, Cameron Diaz was beautiful and funny, Jude Law was predictably sexy, and Jack Black was unpredictably refreshing and actually not painfully stupid. There was a big surprise, a sweet subplot, and lots of clever dialogue.

I think I’m in love.

Sitting too close to the screen in the crowded theater gave me a headache, so I put in Project Runway when I got home and accidentally fell asleep on my couch.

One paper, a presentation, and four tests before my semester is over and I can get into the Christmas spirit even more if that’s possible.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to watch more Project Runway and wish that Daniel Vosovic was straight.

*I reserve the right to change her extremely boring pseudonym when I get a better idea. You have been warned.

**It’s basically a cosmo with tequila instead of vodka—which is good, because I find vodka to be evil. It’s also good because it is pink. I believe this is my new favorite alcoholic beverage.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Dead Day. I love it so. Sounds like you guys had a good time. :) I've never heard of that drink before...sounds really good though. I'm usually not one for "girly drinks" because they tend to make me quite ill but that one actually sounds appealing. Oooh and I'm so glad you thought the movie was that good! Now I really cant wait to see it. I'm so excited. Oh yeah, and Daniel Vosovic...totally wish he was straight too. *sigh* All the good ones are gay...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home