Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Here's Your Sign

I pose the following question to all men* who may be wandering the internet and reading my blog: Is being a female wearing a cute dress the equivalent to being a female wearing a sign that says “Please hit on me”?

After graduating from college and realizing that I have no plans for the fall (despite my hard-earned teaching degree), I decided that I was going to make the most of my summer. The first step in making the most of my summer was ensuring that I look exceedingly attractive. This of course translates to spending my time in cute little dresses.

So I went shopping.

I found what I have now dubbed my little gray dress at a store which I refuse to name (to protect my innocence, you see). It’s a very simple jersey dress with spaghetti straps that hits just above the knee. There is some gathering on the bust line, but it doesn’t show an excessive amount of cleavage. I decided, after evaluating the appearance of the dress, that it was appropriate for running errands as well as sitting in the pub having a beer. It is, in fact, the perfect summer dress.

Since GFW was moving out of College Town, we all** decided to gather at the Pub to have some drinks and hang out. We were meeting around eight, but I had some errands to run first and I wasn’t really excited about changing my clothes three times in one day, so I decided to wear the little gray dress. At the bank, the teller – through the glass of the drive-up window – eyed me and complimented my necklace. I stopped at the pet store to pick up a bag of kitty kibble and some treats for my babies, and the boy who checked me out asked what kind of pet I had. While he was scanning my bag of Cat Chow. I stared at him blankly for a moment before answering, “I have two cats.” He blushed. At the grocery store, the checker spent the entire time he was scanning my frozen pizza and Dr. Pepper chatting me up. I answered his questions flatly and put the bags into the cart.

It was at this point that, rather perplexed, I texted GFW and posed the same question that I opened this post with. He said that no, it isn’t the same as wearing a “hit on me” sign; the exception, he added, was if the dress showed a lot of skin. I don’t feel like this one does, but I decided that I would poll the boys that evening. The general consensus was that the dress looks good on me – damn good, one said – but that my wearing of it was not a direct invitation to hit on me. I trust the guys that I asked, so I decided that the dress was safe to wear out in public again.

Adding a little teal cardigan makes the dress work appropriate, so I wore it this evening while I was shelving books. A gentleman approached me and asked if we had any books on jumping rope. After looking it up – who knew that there actually were books on jumping rope? – I took him to the section and tracked the title down for him. As I knelt there beside him, my finger tracing along the spines of the books looking for Jump Rope Training by Lee, he chatted. He asked questions about my job, which I answered politely. I found the book, put it in his hand, and went back to my shelving.

Twenty minutes later, he approached and asked if we had a meditation section. I walked him over there, as per my job description, told him to let me know if I could help him with anything else, and walked away. I stopped on the other side of the shelf to fix some books that had fallen over and overheard the gentleman say to himself, “You could take that dress off for me.”

In related news, my gag reflex is in perfect working order.

*And women, of course. I’m a feminist too!
** The group of people that I work with who don’t suck.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 2:01 PM, Blogger Bizz said...

Why are people so CREEPY? Ugh.

Anyways, I'm not a man, but I'm sure you look adorable in this dress you speak of, so I guess it's not surprising that all these things seem to happen to you when you wear it. :D I wanna see a pic!!!

Okay, now I'M starting to sound like the creepy one.

By the way, I'm still giggling over the jump rope training book. Seriously? Jump rope training? A whole book?

*snorts*

 
At 2:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Creating muscle [B][URL=http://www.fitnessworkoutclub.com]p90x workout[/URL][/B] through getting supplement is by no means enough and doesn't entirely guarantee an enviable impact. [B]p90x[/B] must set in thoughts how the plan is not made through the supplements, but rather they are only directed to help you within your mission of constructing muscle groups. One of the most essential aspect would definitely be your eating habits and discipline whilst having your excess weight education. [B][URL=http://www.fitnessworkoutclub.com]p90x workout[/URL][/B] A excellent and balanced diet plan can be essential. Let time to take its course and don't do issues in haste. As extended as [B][URL=http://www.fitnessworkoutclub.com/insanity-workout-dvds.html]insanity reviews[/URL][/B] exert an work to adjust your not so pleasing routines then be confident since you'll certainly have the ability to actualize what you have been wishing - a leaner and masculine physique.

[URL=http://www.fitnessworkoutclub.com][IMG]http://www.beachbody.com/images/en_US/products/programs/insanity/ins_sell_lloyd_b.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

 
At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the day that the clothes design came out it [B][URL=http://www.edhardystore.uk.com]ed hardy clothing[/URL][/B] renowned within the whole wold. Holdingg the [B]ed hardy clothing[/B] group will be the mark of celebrities.

The clothes group isn't only for [B]ed hardy uk[/B] A tattoo type is encouraged on he types about the style path , which has set up with for such a long time. [B][URL=http://www.edhardystore.uk.com]ed hardy sneakers[/URL][/B] that forms will not weaken in so pretty a few many years on the day time it was [B][URL=http://www.edhardystore.uk.com]christian audigier[/URL][/B] is greatly a great point to invest. [B]ed hardy hoodies[/B] Clothes is just appropriate for somebody, who's like charming. [B][URL=http://www.edhardystore.uk.com]ed hardy[/URL][/B] clothes collection will be the finest option,If you want designs and simplicity with elegance. These clothes will absolutely fit you [B]ed hardy shirts[/B] of your rank and your age.

 
At 1:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first-rate pure cotton in POLO tshirt is very comfy as well as breathable, [B][URL=http://www.abercrombieforyou.com]Abercrombie And Fitch[/URL][/B] soft in order to be touched. The company logo on the façade is embroidered which in turn makes it more comfy and also soft to be able to wear. And also the better capacity to be able to take in sweat [B]Abercrombie & Fitch[/B] permits it to end up being full of style as well as unique, and also significantly boost the natural comfortable wearing practical experience. The best company representative of [B][URL=http://www.abercrombieforyou.com]Abercrombie And Fitch[/URL][/B] design thought is POLO shirt string, which can produce the the majority of relaxed causal clothes with regard to males in color, designs and creating. Getting easy in order to complement up, it is certainly a must with regard to your clothing in this summer.Trend News: fitch clothing usually are in the Leading Place In [B]Abercrombie And Fitch[/B] of 2010.

[B][URL=http://www.abercrombieforyou.com]Abercrombie & Fitch[/URL][/B] promotes some sort of functional good looks. Day to day everyone will come up with a number of beautiful judgements intentionally or unnoticed. [B]Abercrombie And Fitch[/B] Pertaining to instance, clearing upwards your bedrooms, put flowers on your dinner table or shaping bud flowers. These are all beautiful decisions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home