Saturday, September 25, 2010

Celebrating Autumn

I once put a lot of energy into writing a missive about how much I hate autumn. I realize now that, while autumn isn't my favorite season, part of my prior hatred was the result of being forced to be outside walking to class during the bits of fall that are less enjoyable. Those chilly rainshowers that are so great for drinking coffee and reading books are not so great for walking to class.

But, in the spirit of recognizing that I don't actually hate autumn and celebrating the good rather than lamenting the bad, I've composed a list of things about autumn that I love.

  • not listening to a running air conditioner (why are they so loud?)
  • cardigans
  • blooming chrysanthemums
  • the handful of trees that turn pretty colors here (instead of just brown and dead)
  • wearing tights
  • extra-delicious apples
  • the end of daylight savings time
  • making and eating soup all the time
  • new episodes of scripted television
  • Halloween
  • trench coat temperatures
  • the yearly compulsion to buy school supplies
  • spending rainy days reading inside
  • the end of "beach book" buzz
  • cranberries
  • taking long, hot baths
  • hot, spiced apple cider
  • Thanksgiving
  • attending football games
  • cashmere

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Karen said...

Autumn is really beautiful over here and my favourite time of year. The humidity is gone and there are cool afternoons and nights, without the pollens of spring (that are driving me nuts at the moment). Plus, where I live, it is like an orchestra of colour with the falling leaves, quite breathtaking in pockets!

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Ann said...

HOODIE WEATHER!!!!!!

I'm in a hoodie today. It's like I went to Baltimore and Missouri changed seasons on me!

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Hawk said...

"•not listening to a running air conditioner"

I'm with this. I like the sound of a heater. I can't stand the sound of AC.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home