Sunday, June 22, 2008

Syrup and Honey*

I cannot be the only person in the world who has accidentally started reading a series, only to be both excited and dismayed when the next book appears in the bookstore. And yes, I’ve done it again.

I use the fact that I am a high school English teacher – by training, even if I don’t have a real job – as an excuse to read lots of young adult novels. In reality, I enjoy them quite a lot. When Luxe first appeared on my cart to shelve at work, I was really excited by it. Set in late 1899 high-society New York City, the novel follows a girl whose sister and best friend are both in love with the boy she is engaged to marry – whom she does not love. She is in love with her family’s valet, who is also being pursued by the family’s grasping maid. It’s historical fiction that borders on trashy, except for the fact that it’s the turn of the twentieth century and girls just didn’t do that. Think Gossip Girl, but these girls aren’t slutty; they’re just mean. The first novel ended in a place that I thought was pretty good, and I had no idea that it was going to go on to be a series.

Imagine my surprise when I pulled Rumors: A Luxe Novel, from my shelving cart a couple of weeks ago. I just finished it yesterday afternoon, and I find myself excited to read the next one. Especially since this time I know there will be a next one.

I have a weird interest in this whole wealthy, high-society life. Not the sort of things that we read about in People magazine that the celebrities do, but those people who are truly a part of the social elite. Again, think Gossip Girl. Growing up in Small Town, Missouri, I never saw anything like this, so maybe that’s where my fascination comes from. Honestly though, I find myself wanting to know what it would be like to be a part of such a scene. Knowing every morning when you’re getting ready that a whole slew of people are going to see exactly what pricy, designer clothes you’re wearing and are going to criticize your every move. But also knowing that you will be given privileges and will be admitted to places only available to you because of the name on the American Express Black card inside that Birkin bag.

Does this make me shallow?

*The title of a Duffy song that I'm in love with. It's pertinent, I swear.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 7:04 AM, Blogger Ann said...

Give me D&G over Birkin. Any day. Mmmm, I love me some Dolce.

No you're not shallow. Promise.

 
At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so obsessed with Gossip Girl as well. I'm from a small town too - maybe that is why. You could be onto something there. :)

 
At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS - I love Duffy!

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Bizz said...

bahaha. And I have a complete LACK of interest in that way of life. I think it's cause things like designer labels and purses and shoes, etc. really don't hold any interest for me. I swear, I'm like the LEAST materialistic person in the entire world. I've actually been carrying around the same purse since sophomore year of high school. That's how bad it is. And it's not that I'm frugal with money. I could give a shit about money. It's just that I really don't feel like I need lots of things. I dunno. It seems silly to put so much effort into caring about them. That's why shows and books like Gossip Girl aren't appealing to me. It's cause I can't relate.

Anyways, no, I don't think you're shallow cause this interests you. But then again, I know you, so I know how intelligent you are and that you care about other things more. If this were the ONLY thing you cared about, then yes, you'd be shallow. lol. So yeah, my two cents.

Loving Duffy, by the way. :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home