Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Cosmo Conspiracy

Let's consider the following while remembering that Nic is crazy and is also something of a conspiracy theorist.

Monday night, Bradshaw and I had what can only be described as a marathon of a phone call. We chatted about how I'm crazy and preoccupied and how she's crazy and how we're friends because we're both crazy - normal stuff. We also discussed the propaganda that is spread by Cosmo, the quintessential magazine for girls in their twenties and girls who are proponents of a healthy sex life. We decided a few things about the magazine. First, that it is the same magazine month after month. Second, that it is either derogatory toward or completely ignores career paths taken by enough women to matter. Third, Cosmo spreads sexual propaganda.

I have my own theory on the sexual propaganda. Since I work at a bookstore, I tend to read magazines at work rather than buying them, and this month's issue of Cosmo (with the Blake Lively cover) was no exception. There was an article that, I am sad to admit, intrigued me, at least until I started reading it. The claim was that they were going to tell me what guys are actually thinking when they're having sex with you. Cosmo tries really hard to make us believe that guys don't care about our bodies, but I think Cosmo is full of it. I have no doubt that I have slept with the most hypercritical guys in the world, each of whom has thought, "She looked a lot better with the clothes on."

I try not to dwell on this. Feel free to discuss how I'm paranoid and insane. You were warned.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 3:28 PM, Blogger Ann said...

You are paranoid. I doubt any guy getting laid is going to be wishing he wasn't. Unless you just suck at it, but somehow I doubt that.

2.5 hours is not marathon-esque....ok, maybe it is.

And seriously, Cosmo needs to mention women in the sciences more, dammit. I'm a girl too!!! Tell ME how to make my boss respect me. Oh wait, I can do my job, do it well, and provide excellent data. Screw you, Cosmo. I don't need you.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Bizz said...

WHOA. The font is all...small. I feel like I'm going crazy. Weird things like that have been happening all day to me.

Er...anyways. Dude, it IS the same magazine every month! I used to read Cosmo a lot. Now I don't read magazines at all, but that's so true. Also, I agree with Bradshaw. You're paranoid. :P

Seriously, the font is like elf-size...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home