Friday, March 20, 2009

Spring Happy


For as long as I can remember, I've felt something of an ownership for spring. Probably due to the fact that I was born in late March, and despite my adoration for snow and winter clothes, each time that spring makes its appearance, I feel like at least a little part of it is just for me.

My grandmother had planned flowerbeds and dozens of places were daffodils, lilies, irises, tulips, and things I don't even remember would pop up each year. She always fed the birds and spent hours outdoors, enjoying the sunshine and the dirt and the smell of life in the air. I would spend time with her, perhaps being more trouble than I was worth, but always enjoying her company and the results of her gardening efforts. I didn't grow up in a house where we cut flowers and brought them indoors - they die too soon. Rather, we would go outside and enjoy them while they were alive, pushing their way through the soil and waving in the light breeze.

I love the appearance of spring vegetables and fruits, because even for a fabulously unhealthy eater like me, fruit with breakfast and gorgeous, fresh salads for lunch are incredible. I love fresh scents in the shower and lightweight dresses skimming my body and lovely little sandals that my pedicured toes poke out of. I like going for walks with friends and talking the entire time about absolutely nothing. I like taking Puck outside so that he can eat grass that grew from the ground rather than a pot.

I love falling asleep during a thunderstorm and the way that rain sounds hitting the ground outside my window. I get a weird thrill from the heavy, ominous scent in the air when the conditions begin to appear perfect for tornadoes. As long as it's still warm enough for a skirt and sandals, I like to walk in the rain and listen to the drops hit my umbrella.

I love the pastel colors of Easter and the more vibrant colors of the things that actually occur in nature. I like celebrating my birthday different ways each year, but always with a dinner with my parents. I love that they don't get me birthday cake anymore because they know it isn't my preference. (Usually it's cheesecake; last year, I got dutch cherry pie and it was phenomenal.) I love the scent of lilacs on the bush more than almost any scent in the world. I love sitting outside and eating a sandwich with lemonade and calling it a private picnic.

So tell me: What do you love about spring?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Blogger Sizzle said...

Hearing the birds chirp through the open window. That the windows can be opened! Farmers markets. Longer days with more daylight. My birthday. Tulips. Trees blossoming.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Dollface said...

I love the flowers blooming, but I hate my allergies to a lot of outdoors. I love that I can walk to the gym in NYC without my uggs or snow coat. I love walking the dog in warm weather, the tulips, pink cupcakes, ahhh, i love that it is that much closer to spring!! Hope to see u on my blog!! xoxo

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Spring just makes me damn happy. The sunshine, the flip flop weather, the zoo, baseball season, it being light after work for a lot longer.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Spiff said...

I fucking love Spring, because it means that summer is on its way. I love that part of me still wants to go outside and play in the mud. I love that the days are longer, and I don't have to drive to and from work in the work, dodging deer as I go. I love that I can shed my pants and wear cute little spring dresses with leggings. I love that I can see everything come back to life. Most of all though, I love the feeling of hope that Spring brings - a new beginning, where you can do anything and become anyone.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Bizz said...

We... uh... we don't really GET spring in Arizona. rofl. It kinda just jumps straight from winter to summer. If we do get spring it seriously lasts a week. If that. But I can feel that shift in the air, and I do like seeing the few flowers we have start to come out. Those are always nice things. :)

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I love the new possibilities that spring brings with it. So hopefully, fresh and clean.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home