Monday, March 30, 2009

The Yellow Birthday

As promised, the update for my birthday. As you saw from Friday's post, I wasn't so much looking forward to my birthday. All of my plans had fallen through and I was feeling rather nasty about things. My original thought had been to do something on Saturday night, but between Bradshaw staying at home, Spark having to work, and my own general bad attitude, those plans went, quite frankly, to shit. Still, I didn't want the evening to be a complete bust, so I went to the restaurant where Roomie trends bar and ordered the amazing tiramisu

The weather was really bizarre here this weekend: Saturday night when I got to the bar, wintry mix was falling from the sky. Add into that the fact that last week was spring break here in College Town, and you get a bar that is inhabited by the bartender (Roomie), her roommate (that's me!), and the guy she's dating (The Boy). Roomie started inventing new mixed drinks and shots and trying them out on The Boy and me, and before I was entirely aware of what was going on I was tipsy and plans had been made to drag me to a different bar to ring in my real birthday. I was already tipsy when we walked to the new bar in the snow.

Roomie, being a bartender, is friends with other bartenders in downtown College Town, and was therefore able to walk up to the bar, say, "it's my roommate's birthday!" and get us drinks that I'm pretty sure we didn't pay for. At midnight, I was given a shot of something that had been on fire to bring in my twenty-third year. At this point I'd been given five shots and at least three mixed drinks, so I was taking it pretty easy, texting and receiving lovely drunk dials from Bradshaw and company. Roomie and The Boy drove my car home while I drunk dialed a birthday makeout from the backseat, gave me leftovers and water when we got to the house, and lit and entire book of matches for me to blow out like candles. I finished the evening by kicking the makeout boy out of my bed and falling asleep to Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Birthday morning I had plans with Spark for breakfast downtown. Scrambled eggs with cilantro and Asiago cheese, hash browns, bacon, wheat toast, and coffee. It was phenomenal. I was also given my first yellow gift, Louella the naturally antibacterial monkey made from bamboo. Spark and I spent some time together, then I went back home for a birthday nap.

When I woke from my nap, Roomie and The Boy presented me with failed yellow gift number two, a lemon cake. They thought it wouldn't finish baking in the improperly sized dish, so they tried to split the batter thirty minutes into the cooking time. Not such a great idea. I blew out candles anyhow, and the edges of the cake were lovely. They disappeared to dinner and returned with a beautiful pot of yellow tulips, gift number three.

I finished my birthday by making dinner plans with my parents for Wednesday night and having coffee with Spark downtown. For a day that I wasn't exactly looking forward to, it turned out to be pretty fantastic. And the credit for that goes to the amazing people around me. Roomie and The Boy, Roomie's sweet and inclusive coworkers (who assisted in getting me fabulously sloshed), the makeout boy, Bradshaw, and Spark. I'm surrounded by some pretty wonderful people.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 11:09 PM, Blogger Bri Bri said...

You're surrounded by pretty awesome people because YOU are a pretty awesome person! :) I'm glad you had a good birthday. This makes me happy. :)

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger Ann said...

I agree with Spark up there. You are pretty phenomenal. And I'm glad you had a good birthday too! Makes me feel like a little less of a jerk. :-/

Drunk dials are fun.

I'm jealous you got some kissins.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Birthday nap? Why have I never thought of this before? Pure genius!

Glad your bday was a success!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home