Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Never Have I Ever

On the last day of my student teaching, after the last bell had rung and all of the students were filing out of the classroom past where I stood at the door, one of the fifteen-year-old boys stopped in front of me. We'll call him Josh Smith.

"I'm sad that you're leaving, Ms. Nic."

"I'm a little bit sad, too," I answered honestly.

He leaned forward to wrap me in a hug that, being six inches shorter and at least fifty pounds lighter than he, I couldn't resist, despite all of the cautioning I had received about hugging students in my four years. The hallway was loud and crowded, so he made sure to speak at full volume. "Ms. Nic, you're a good English teacher. I also think that you would make a good Mrs. Smith."

With that, he released his grip on me, turned, and half-ran down the hallway away from me, the cheers and taunts of his classmates chasing him. Later, as I told Bradshaw the story, she had the proper perspective:

"Now you can't say you've never been proposed to."

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12:01 PM, Blogger Ann said...

And that is why I am awesome....silver lining and whatnot.

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Bizz said...

*dies*

That's so cute. I like that he half-ran down the hallway. *snort*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home